Be In Control of Your Building Envelope from the Get Go
Building performance starts with a properly designed, installed and functioning building envelope. Controlling air and water leakage protects the envelope assemblies from costly damage/deterioration, improves air quality, reduces load on mechanical systems and reduces energy costs. For example, reducing air leakage can result in up to 35% heating savings in certain climates.
Completing review, analysis and testing of the building envelope prior to completion of construction allows early detection and repair of leaking systems, saving you money.
Systems benefiting from testing include windows / skylights / sloped glazing, doors, storefronts, curtain walls, wall systems and roofing.
PCD offers the following Building Science Services for the evaluation and field testing of building envelope products, mock-ups, assemblies in-place, and whole buildings:
• Building Science Advisory / Specification
• Quality Assurance Plan and Submittal Review
• Energy Modeling of Building Envelope System Alternatives
• Auditing and Field Inspection of Installed Systems
• Commissioning & ASTM/AMMA Field Testing. Below are the types of tests the various performance specifications and standards adhered to:
- Water Penetration and Air Leakage
• ASTM E 331 – Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
• ASTM E 547 – Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Cyclic Static Air Pressure Difference
• ASTM E 783 – Standard Test Method for Field Measurement of Air Leakage Through Installed Exterior Windows and Doors
• ASTM E 1105 – Standard Test Method for Field Determination of Water Penetration of Installed Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform or Cyclic Static Air Pressure Difference
• ASTM C 1601 – Standard Test Method for Field Determination of Water Penetration of Masonry Wall Surfaces
• ASTM C 1715 – Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Water Leakage Performance of Masonry Wall Drainage Systems
• ASTM E 2128 – Standard Guide for Evaluating Water Leakage of Building Walls
• AAMA 501.2 – Quality Assurance and Diagnostic Water Leakage Field Check of Installed Storefronts, Curtain Walls, and Sloped Glazing Systems
• AAMA 502 – Voluntary Specification for Field Testing of Newly Installed Fenestration Products
• AAMA 503 – Voluntary Specification for Field Testing of Newly Installed Storefronts, Curtain Walls, and Sloped Glazing Systems
• AAMA 511 – Voluntary Guideline for Forensic Water Penetration Testing of Fenestration Products
- Whole Building Air Barrier Testing and Infrared Thermography
• ASTM E1827 Standard Test Methods for Determining Airtightness of Buildings Using an Orifice Blower Door
• ASTM E779 Standard Test Method for Determining Air Leakage Rate by Fan Pressurization
• ASTM E1186 Standard Practices for Air Leakage Site Detection in Building Envelopes and Air Barrier Systems
• ISO 6781 Thermal Insulation Qualitative Detection of Thermal Irregularities in Building Envelopes - Infrared Method
• ASTM C1060 Standard Practice for Thermographic Inspection of Insulation Installations in Envelope Cavities of Frame Buildings
• ASTM C1153 - Standard Practice for Location of Wet Insulation in Roofing Systems Using Infrared Imaging.
• Exterior Insulation and Finishing Systems (EIFS) Inspections
Our expert capabilities serve to:
• Confirm air leakage, water penetration and thermal integrity
• Improve building performance
• Reduce change orders and construction delays due to improperly designed or performing systems
• Reduce operation and maintenance costs
We provide testing services throughout the United States. Contact us to discuss your next project.